National Colon Cancer Awareness Month (Colorectal Cancer Awareness)
March is National Colorectal or Colon Cancer Awareness Month, the time of year when various national public service organizations, charities, professional medical associations and government agencies all work together to promote colon cancer awareness, raise funds and hopefully get closer to finding a cure and better treatments for this disease. These organizations are working hard year-round to find cures and to lend assistance to those suffering from colon cancer, rectal cancer and colorectal cancer, and they need your help to spread the word and lend a helping hand. Raising awareness during National Colon Cancer Awareness Month in March will certainly help the cause, however assistance is needed year-round.
Colon Cancer Facts & Statistics
According to The American Cancer Society, colorectal cancer is the third most common cancer diagnosed in both men and women in the United States (excluding skin cancers). The ACS estimates that more than 95,000 new cases of colon cancer and more than 39,000 new cases of rectal cancer are being diagnosed each year. Colorectal cancer accounts for approximately 50,000 deaths per year and is the third leading cause of cancer-related deaths in women in the United States, and the second leading in men.
The good news is that the death rate from colorectal cancer has been dropping in both men and women for several decades. This is largely due to earlier screenings and improved treatments. More than 1 million people in the U.S. count themselves as survivors this disease.
Supporting Colon Cancer Awareness – Ways to Help
There are many ways to lend your support to this important cause. We have listed some ideas below:
- Educate yourself and others about colorectal cancer and the importance of early detection
- Make a contribution on the donation page of a charity supporting the fight against colorectal or colon cancer
- Hold your own colon cancer fundraiser
- Encourage friends and family to become familiar with the symptoms of colorectal cancer
- Participate or volunteer with local community events sponsoring colon cancer and colorectal cancer awareness
- Find and support a page on a crowdfunding website which supports cause-related fundraisers (CrowdRise, First Giving, Indiegogo, Causes or Razoo)
- Stay up to date with the latest research news and breakthroughs regarding colorectal cancer right here on Comfort Finders
- Make donations to respected charities and organizations contributing to colon cancer research and assisting people who have colon cancer
- Wear colors and ribbons to show your support (colon cancer awareness color is dark blue). You can find some great colon cancer jewelry and items on Etsy
- Share your story of hope and inspiration with us and we’ll publish it right here for others to read who have been diagnosed with colorectal cancer