Multiple Myeloma Awareness Month
March is Multiple Myeloma Awareness Month, the time of year when various national public service organizations, charities, professional medical associations and government agencies all work together to promote multiple myeloma awareness, raise funds and hopefully get closer to finding a cure and better treatments for this disease. These organizations are working hard year-round to find cures and to lend assistance to those suffering from multiple myeloma, and they need your help to spread the word and lend a helping hand. Raising awareness during National Multiple Myeloma Awareness Month in March will certainly help the cause, however assistance is needed year-round.
Multiple Myeloma Facts & Statistics
According to The American Cancer Society, the lifetime risk of acquiring multiple myeloma is 1 in 143, making it a relatively uncommon form of cancer. The American Cancer Society estimates that just over 30,000 new cases are diagnosed each year with close to 13,000 people expected to die from this disease annually. Although multiple myeloma is not a common cancer, it is the third most common form of blood cancer following leukemia and lymphoma.
Supporting Multiple Myeloma Awareness – Ways to Help
There are many ways to lend your support to this important cause. We have listed some ideas below:
- Educate yourself and others about multiple myeloma
- Make a contribution on the donation page of a charity supporting the fight against multiple myeloma
- Hold your own multiple myeloma fundraiser
- Encourage friends and family to become familiar with this form of cancer
- Participate or volunteer with local community events sponsoring multiple myeloma awareness
- Find and support a page on a crowdfunding website which supports cause-related fundraisers (CrowdRise, First Giving, Indiegogo, Causes or Razoo)
- Stay up to date with the latest research news and breakthroughs regarding multiple myeloma right here on Comfort Finders
- Make donations to respected charities and organizations contributing to multiple myeloma research and assisting people who have multiple myeloma
- Wear colors and ribbons to show your support (colon cancer awareness color is burgundy). You can find some great multiple myeloma jewelry and items on Etsy
- Share your story of hope and inspiration with us and we’ll publish it right here for others to read who have been diagnosed with multiple myeloma