Thyroid Cancer Awareness Month
January is Thyroid Awareness Month and September is Thyroid Cancer Awareness Month. January and September represent the time of year when various national public service organizations, charities, professional medical associations and government agencies all work together to promote thyroid health awareness, raise funds and hopefully get closer to finding a cure and better treatments for thyroid cancer and other thyroid disorders. These organizations are working hard year-round to find cures and to lend assistance to those suffering from thyroid cancer and various thyroid diseases, and they need your help to spread the word and lend a helping hand. Raising awareness during Thyroid Awareness Month in January and Thyroid Cancer Awareness Month in September will certainly help the cause, however thyroid cancer and other thyroid related conditions know no boundaries and help is needed year-round.
Thyroid Cancer Facts & Statistics
The National Cancer Institute estimates that approximately 65,000 people are diagnosed with thyroid cancer each year in the United States and about 75% of these are women, making thyroid cancer the eighth-most-common cancer in women. Thyroid cancer is seen most often in adults, with two-thirds of the cases occurring between ages 20 and 55. Each year, approximately 2,000 people will likely die from the disease. For thyroid cancer, death rates increase with age. The number of deaths was 0.5 per 100,000 men and women per year based on 2009-2013 deaths. According to the National Cancer Institute, an estimated 637,000 people in the U.S. are living with thyroid cancer.
It is also believed that more than 30 million Americans have some type of thyroid disorder.
Supporting Thyroid Cancer Awareness – Ways to Help
There are many ways to lend your support to this important cause. We have listed some ideas below:
- Educate yourself and others about thyroid cancer and thyroid disorders
- Make a contribution on the donation page of a charity supporting the fight against thyroid cancer
- Hold your own thyroid cancer fundraiser
- Encourage friends and family to become familiar with the symptoms of thyroid cancer
- Participate or volunteer with local community events sponsoring thyroid cancer awareness
- Find and support a page on a crowdfunding website which supports cause-related fundraisers (CrowdRise, First Giving, Indiegogo, Causes or Razoo)
- Stay up to date with the latest research news and breakthroughs regarding thyroid cancer right here on Comfort Finders
- Make donations to respected charities and organizations contributing to thyroid cancer research and assisting people who have cervical cancer
- Wear colors and ribbons to show your support (thyroid cancer colors are teal, pink and blue). You can find some great thyroid cancer jewelry and items on Etsy
- Share your story of hope and inspiration with us and we’ll publish it right here for others to read who are currently going through thyroid cancer treatment